The origins of the Band begin with the Bradford City Police Band which was formed
in 1899 and then the Leeds City Police Band, which was formed some fifteen years
In 1974 the Leeds and Bradford Forces amalgamated to form part of The West Yorkshire
Metropolitan Police, and the bands merged to become The West Yorkshire Police Band.
Initially the Band was military in style, with woodwind, brass and percussion. In
1984 a new ethos was agreed and since then the Band has been styled in the traditional
Brass Band format.
Originally comprised solely of serving police officers, the band now draws from the
wider police family, including retired police officers and members of the public.
The band has the largest number of regular volunteers for West Yorkshire Police